WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. restrict, restrain, trammel, limit, bound, confine, throttle, control, hold in, hold, contain, check, curb, moderate
- usage: place limits on (extent or access); "restrict the use of this parking lot"; "limit the time you can spend with your friends"
- 2. limit, circumscribe, confine, decrease, lessen, minify
- usage: restrict or confine, "I limit you to two visits to the pub a day"
- 3. confine, restrain, keep, keep back, hold back
- usage: prevent from leaving or from being removed
- 4. enclose, hold in, confine, hold, bear, carry, contain
- usage: close in; darkness enclosed him"
- 5. confine, detain
- usage: deprive of freedom; take into confinement
- 6. restrain, confine, hold, disable, disenable, incapacitate
- usage: to close within bounds, limit or hold back from movement; "This holds the local until the express passengers change trains"; "About a dozen animals were held inside the stockade"; "The illegal immigrants were held at a detention center"; "The terrorists held the journalists for ransom"
All rights reserved.
See also: confine (Dictionary)