Synonyms of conflict
- 1. conflict, struggle, battle, group action
- usage: an open clash between two opposing groups (or individuals); "the harder the conflict the more glorious the triumph"--Thomas Paine; "police tried to control the battle between the pro- and anti-abortion mobs"
- 2. conflict, ambivalence, ambivalency
- usage: opposition between two simultaneous but incompatible feelings; "he was immobilized by conflict and indecision"
- 3. battle, conflict, fight, engagement, military action, action
- usage: a hostile meeting of opposing military forces in the course of a war; "Grant won a decisive victory in the battle of Chickamauga"; "he lost his romantic ideas about war when he got into a real engagement"
- 4. conflict, state
- usage: a state of opposition between persons or ideas or interests; "his conflict of interest made him ineligible for the post"; "a conflict of loyalties"
- 5. conflict, incompatibility
- usage: an incompatibility of dates or events; "he noticed a conflict in the dates of the two meetings"
- 6. conflict, opposition, oppositeness
- usage: opposition in a work of drama or fiction between characters or forces (especially an opposition that motivates the development of the plot); "this form of conflict is essential to Mann's writing"
- 7. dispute, difference, difference of opinion, conflict, disagreement
- usage: a disagreement or argument about something important; "he had a dispute with his wife"; "there were irreconcilable differences"; "the familiar conflict between Republicans and Democrats"
- 1. conflict, contrast, counterpoint
- usage: be in conflict; "The two proposals conflict!"
- 2. conflict, run afoul, infringe, contravene, transgress, offend, infract, violate, go against, breach, break
- usage: go against, as of rules and laws; "He ran afoul of the law"; "This behavior conflicts with our rules"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of conflict (Dictionary)