WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. suppress, stamp down, inhibit, subdue, conquer, curb, control, hold in, hold, contain, check, curb, moderate
- usage: to put down by force or authority; "suppress a nascent uprising"; "stamp down on littering"; "conquer one's desires"
- 2. appropriate, capture, seize, conquer, assume, usurp, seize, take over, arrogate
- usage: take possession of by force, as after an invasion; "the invaders seized the land and property of the inhabitants"; "The army seized the town"; "The militia captured the castle"
- 3. conquer, get the better of, overcome, defeat
- usage: overcome by conquest; "conquer your fears"; "conquer a country"
All rights reserved.
See also: conquer (Dictionary)