- 1. component, constituent, element, part, portion
- usage: an artifact that is one of the individual parts of which a composite entity is made up; especially a part that can be separated from or attached to a system; "spare components for cars"; "a component or constituent element of a system"
- 2. constituent, voter, elector
- usage: a member of a constituency; a citizen who is represented in a government by officials for whom he or she votes; "needs continued support by constituents to be re-elected"
- 3. part, portion, component part, component, constituent, relation
- usage: something determined in relation to something that includes it; "he wanted to feel a part of something bigger than himself"; "I read a portion of the manuscript"; "the smaller component is hard to reach"; "the animal constituent of plankton"
- 4. constituent, grammatical constituent, syntagma, syntagm
- usage: (grammar) a word or phrase or clause forming part of a larger grammatical construction
- 5. component, constituent, element, factor, ingredient, part, section, division
- usage: an abstract part of something; "jealousy was a component of his character"; "two constituents of a musical composition are melody and harmony"; "the grammatical elements of a sentence"; "a key factor in her success"; "humor: an effective ingredient of a speech"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. constituent(prenominal), constitutional, constitutive(prenominal), organic, essential (vs. inessential)
- usage: constitutional in the structure of something (especially your physical makeup)
All rights reserved.
See also: constituent (Dictionary)