- 1. devour, down, consume, go through, eat
- usage: eat immoderately; "Some people can down a pound of meat in the course of one meal"
- 2. consume, ingest, take in, take, have
- usage: serve oneself to, or consume regularly; "Have another bowl of chicken soup!"; "I don't take sugar in my coffee"
- 3. consume, squander, waste, ware, spend, expend, drop
- usage: spend extravagantly; "waste not, want not"
- 4. consume, destroy, ruin
- usage: destroy completely; "The fire consumed the building"
- 5. consume, eat up, use up, eat, deplete, exhaust, run through, wipe out, spend, expend, drop
- usage: use up (resources or materials); "this car consumes a lot of gas"; "We exhausted our savings"; "They run through 20 bottles of wine a week"
- 6. consume, absorb, engross, engage, occupy
- usage: engage fully; "The effort to pass the exam consumed all his energy"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. consuming, overwhelming, intense (vs. mild)
- usage: very intense; "politics is his consuming passion"; "overwhelming joy"
All rights reserved.
See also: consuming (Dictionary)