Synonyms of continue
- 1. continue, go on, proceed, go along, keep, act, move
- usage: continue a certain state, condition, or activity; "Keep on working!"; "We continued to work into the night"; "Keep smiling"; "We went on working until well past midnight"
- 2. continue, go on, carry on, proceed, talk, speak
- usage: continue talking; "I know it's hard," he continued, "but there is no choice"; "carry on--pretend we are not in the room"
- 3. continue, uphold, carry on, bear on, preserve, keep, maintain, hold
- usage: keep or maintain in unaltered condition; cause to remain or last; "preserve the peace in the family"; "continue the family tradition"; "Carry on the old traditions"
- 4. proceed, go forward, continue, travel, go, move, locomote
- usage: move ahead; travel onward in time or space; "We proceeded towards Washington"; "She continued in the direction of the hills"; "We are moving ahead in time now"
- 5. retain, continue, keep, keep on, prolong, sustain, keep up
- usage: allow to remain in a place or position or maintain a property or feature; "We cannot continue several servants any longer"; "She retains a lawyer"; "The family's fortune waned and they could not keep their household staff"; "Our grant has run out and we cannot keep you on"; "We kept the work going as long as we could"; "She retained her composure"; "this garment retains its shape even after many washings"
- 6. continue, persist in, act, move
- usage: do something repeatedly and showing no intention to stop; "We continued our research into the cause of the illness"; "The landlord persists in asking us to move"
- 7. continue, act, move
- usage: continue after an interruption; "The demonstration continued after a break for lunch"
- 8. stay, stay on, continue, remain, be
- usage: continue in a place, position, or situation; "After graduation, she stayed on in Cambridge as a student adviser"; "Stay with me, please"; "despite student protests, he remained Dean for another year"; "She continued as deputy mayor for another year"
- 9. cover, continue, extend, be
- usage: span an interval of distance, space or time; "The war extended over five years"; "The period covered the turn of the century"; "My land extends over the hills on the horizon"; "This farm covers some 200 acres"; "The Archipelago continues for another 500 miles"
- 10. continue, be
- usage: exist over a prolonged period of time; "The bad weather continued for two more weeks"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of continue (Dictionary)