- 1. counter, table
- usage: table consisting of a horizontal surface over which business is transacted
- 2. counter, game equipment
- usage: game equipment (as a piece of wood, plastic, or ivory) used for keeping a count or reserving a space in various card or board games
- 3. counter, tabulator, calculator, calculating machine
- usage: a calculator that keeps a record of the number of times something happens
- 4. buffet, counter, sideboard, furniture, piece of furniture, article of furniture
- usage: a piece of furniture that stands at the side of a dining room; has shelves and drawers
- 5. counter, person, individual, someone, somebody, mortal, soul
- usage: a person who counts things
- 6. rejoinder, retort, return, riposte, replication, comeback, counter, reply, response
- usage: a quick reply to a question or remark (especially a witty or critical one); "it brought a sharp rejoinder from the teacher"
- 7. counter, register
- usage: (computer science) a register whose contents go through a regular series of states (usually states indicating consecutive integers)
- 8. counter, heel counter, piece of leather
- usage: a piece of leather forming the back of a shoe or boot; "a counter may be used to stiffen the material around the heel and to give support to the foot"
- 9. counterpunch, parry, counter, punch, clout, poke, lick, biff, slug
- usage: a return punch (especially by a boxer)
- 1. counter, answer, reply, respond
- usage: speak in response; "He countered with some very persuasive arguments"
- 2. anticipate, foresee, forestall, counter, act, move
- usage: act in advance of; deal with ahead of time
- 1. antagonistic, counter, negative (vs. neutral) (vs. positive)
- usage: indicating opposition or resistance
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. counter
- usage: in the opposite direction; "run counter"
All rights reserved.
See also: counter (Dictionary)