- 1. crack, check, break, change
- usage: become fractured; break or crack on the surface only; "The glass cracked when it was heated"
- 2. crack, sound, go
- usage: make a very sharp explosive sound; "His gun cracked"
- 3. snap, crack, sound, go
- usage: make a sharp sound; "his fingers snapped"
- 4. crack, hit
- usage: hit forcefully; deal a hard blow, making a cracking noise; "The teacher cracked him across the face with a ruler"
- 5. break through, crack, pass, go through, go across
- usage: pass through (a barrier); "Registrations cracked through the 30,000 mark in the county"
- 6. crack, crack, check, break
- usage: break partially but keep its integrity; "The glass cracked"
- 7. snap, crack, break, separate, split up, fall apart, come apart
- usage: break suddenly and abruptly, as under tension; "The pipe snapped"
- 8. crack, break in, break
- usage: gain unauthorized access computers with malicious intentions; "she cracked my password"; "crack a safe"
- 9. crack up, crack, crock up, break up, collapse, suffer, sustain, have, get
- usage: suffer a nervous breakdown
- 10. crack, tell, narrate, recount, recite
- usage: tell spontaneously; "crack a joke"
- 11. crack, change, alter, modify
- usage: cause to become cracked; "heat and light cracked the back of the leather chair"
- 12. crack, decompose, break up, break down
- usage: reduce (petroleum) to a simpler compound by cracking
- 13. crack, change
- usage: break into simpler molecules by means of heat; "The petroleum cracked"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. chapped, cracked, roughened, rough (vs. smooth), unsmooth
- usage: used of skin roughened as a result of cold or exposure; "chapped lips"
- 2. alligatored, cracked, rough (vs. smooth), unsmooth
- usage: of paint or varnish; having the appearance of alligator hide
- 3. balmy, barmy, bats, batty, bonkers, buggy, cracked, crackers, daft, dotty, fruity, haywire, kooky, kookie, loco, loony, loopy, nuts, nutty, round the bend, around the bend, wacky, whacky, insane (vs. sane)
- usage: informal or slang terms for mentally irregular; "it used to drive my husband balmy"
All rights reserved.
See also: cracked (Dictionary)