WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. deny, contradict, negate, contravene
- usage: declare untrue; contradict; "He denied the allegations"; "She denied that she had taken money"
- 2. deny, disown, renounce, repudiate
- usage: refuse to accept or believe; "He denied his fatal illness"
- 3. deny, withhold, keep back
- usage: refuse to grant, as of a petition or request; "The dean denied the students' request for more physics courses"; "the prisoners were denied the right to exercise for more than 2 hours a day"
- 4. deny, refuse, keep, hold on
- usage: refuse to let have; "She denies me every pleasure"; "he denies her her weekly allowance"
- 5. deny, abnegate, control, hold in, hold, contain, check, curb, moderate
- usage: deny oneself (something); restrain, especially from indulging in some pleasure; "She denied herself wine and spirits"
- 6. traverse, deny
- usage: deny formally (an allegation of fact by the opposing party) in a legal suit
- 7. deny, disavow
- usage: refuse to recognize or acknowledge; "Peter denied Jesus"
All rights reserved.
See also: deny (Dictionary)