WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. deputy, deputy sheriff, lawman, law officer, peace officer
- usage: someone authorized to exercise the powers of sheriff in emergencies
- 2. deputy, lieutenant, assistant, helper, help, supporter
- usage: an assistant with power to act when his superior is absent
- 3. deputy, legislator
- usage: a member of the lower chamber of a legislative assembly (such as in France)
- 4. deputy, surrogate, agent
- usage: a person appointed to represent or act on behalf of others
All rights reserved.
See also: deputy (Dictionary)