- 1. designate, denominate
- usage: assign a name or title to
- 2. delegate, designate, depute, assign, appoint, charge
- usage: give an assignment to (a person) to a post, or assign a task to (a person)
- 3. indicate, point, designate, show, inform
- usage: indicate a place, direction, person, or thing; either spatially or figuratively; "I showed the customer the glove section"; "He pointed to the empty parking space"; "he indicated his opponents"
- 4. destine, fate, doom, designate, ordain
- usage: decree or designate beforehand; "She was destined to become a great pianist"
- 5. intend, destine, designate, specify, plan
- usage: design or destine; "She was intended to become the director"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. designate(postnominal), incoming (vs. outgoing)
- usage: appointed but not yet installed in office
All rights reserved.
See also: designate (Dictionary)