WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. diaphragm, stop, mechanical device
- usage: a mechanical device in a camera that controls size of aperture of the lens; "the new cameras adjust the diaphragm automatically"
- 2. diaphragm, midriff, muscular structure, musculature, muscle system, membrane, tissue layer
- usage: (anatomy) a muscular partition separating the abdominal and thoracic cavities; functions in respiration
- 3. diaphragm, pessary, contraceptive diaphragm, contraceptive, preventive, preventative, contraceptive device, prophylactic device, birth control device
- usage: a contraceptive device consisting of a flexible dome-shaped cup made of rubber or plastic; it is filled with spermicide and fitted over the uterine cervix
- 4. diaphragm, disk, disc
- usage: electro-acoustic transducer that vibrates to receive or produce sound waves
All rights reserved.
See also: diaphragm (Dictionary)