usage: command with authority; "He directed the children to do their homework"
2. target, aim, place, direct, point, aim, take, train, take aim, direct
usage: intend (something) to move towards a certain goal; "He aimed his fists towards his opponent's face"; "criticism directed at her superior"; "direct your anger towards others, not towards yourself"
3. direct, make, create
usage: guide the actors in (plays and films)
4. direct, manage, deal, care, handle
usage: be in charge of
5. lead, take, direct, conduct, guide
usage: take somebody somewhere; "We lead him to our chief"; "can you take me to the main entrance?"; "He conducted us to the palace"
6. send, direct, move, displace
usage: cause to go somewhere; "The explosion sent the car flying in the air"; "She sent her children to camp"; "He directed all his energies into his dissertation"
7. aim, take, train, take aim, direct, position
usage: point or cause to go (blows, weapons, or objects such as photographic equipment) towards; "Please don't aim at your little brother!"; "He trained his gun on the burglar"; "Don't train your camera on the women"; "Take a swipe at one's opponent"
8. conduct, lead, direct, perform, execute, do
usage: lead, as in the performance of a composition; "conduct an orchestra; Barenboim conducted the Chicago symphony for years"
9. direct, instruct, apprise, apprize
usage: give directions to; point somebody into a certain direction; "I directed them towards the town hall"