Synonyms of discover
- 1. detect, observe, find, discover, notice, spy, sight
- usage: discover or determine the existence, presence, or fact of; "She detected high levels of lead in her drinking water"; "We found traces of lead in the paint"
- 2. learn, hear, get word, get wind, pick up, find out, get a line, discover, see
- usage: get to know or become aware of, usually accidentally; "I learned that she has two grown-up children"; "I see that you have been promoted"
- 3. discover, find, gestate, conceive, conceptualize, conceptualise
- usage: make a discovery, make a new finding; "Roentgen discovered X-rays"; "Physicists believe they found a new elementary particle"
- 4. discover, find, learn, hear, get word, get wind, pick up, find out, get a line, discover, see
- usage: make a discovery; "She found that he had lied to her"; "The story is false, so far as I can discover"
- 5. fall upon, strike, come upon, light upon, chance upon, come across, chance on, happen upon, attain, discover, find, regain
- usage: find unexpectedly; "the archeologists chanced upon an old tomb"; "she struck a goldmine"; "The hikers finally struck the main path to the lake"
- 6. unwrap, disclose, let on, bring out, reveal, discover, expose, divulge, break, give away, let out, tell
- usage: make known to the public information that was previously known only to a few people or that was meant to be kept a secret; "The auction house would not disclose the price at which the van Gogh had sold"; "The actress won't reveal how old she is"; "bring out the truth"; "he broke the news to her"; "unwrap the evidence in the murder case"
- 7. discover
- usage: see for the first time; make a discovery; "Who discovered the North Pole?"
- 8. identify, discover, key, key out, distinguish, describe, name
- usage: identify as in botany or biology, for example
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of discover (Dictionary)