WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. distinguish, separate, differentiate, secern, secernate, severalize, severalise, tell, tell apart, identify, place
- usage: mark as different; "We distinguish several kinds of maple"
- 2. spot, recognize, recognise, distinguish, discern, pick out, make out, tell apart
- usage: detect with the senses; "The fleeing convicts were picked out of the darkness by the watchful prison guards"; "I can't make out the faces in this photograph"
- 3. distinguish, mark, differentiate, qualify, characterize, characterise
- usage: be a distinctive feature, attribute, or trait; sometimes in a very positive sense; "His modesty distinguishes him from his peers"
- 4. signalize, signalise, distinguish, mark
- usage: make conspicuous or noteworthy
- 5. identify, discover, key, key out, distinguish, describe, name
- usage: identify as in botany or biology, for example
All rights reserved.
See also: distinguish (Dictionary)