- 1. divide, split, split up, separate, dissever, carve up, change integrity
- usage: separate into parts or portions; "divide the cake into three equal parts"; "The British carved up the Ottoman Empire after World War I"
- 2. divide, fraction, calculate, cipher, cypher, compute, work out, reckon, figure
- usage: perform a division; "Can you divide 49 by seven?"
- 3. separate, divide
- usage: act as a barrier between; stand between; "The mountain range divides the two countries"
- 4. separate, divide, part, change
- usage: come apart; "The two pieces that we had glued separated"
- 5. separate, divide
- usage: make a division or separation
- 6. separate, disunite, divide, part, move, displace
- usage: force, take, or pull apart; "He separated the fighting children"; "Moses parted the Red Sea"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. divided (vs. united), bicameral, two-chambered, bifid, bifurcate, biramous, branched, forked, fork-like, forficate, pronged, prongy, bifurcated, bilocular, biloculate, black-and-white, chambered, cloven, bisulcate, dichotomous, disconnected, disunited, fragmented, split, disjointed, disjunct, episodic, four-pronged, many-chambered, metameric, segmental, segmented, mullioned, pentamerous, pronged, tined, sectional, sectioned, segmental, three-pronged, torn, trifid, two-pronged, distributive, segregated#1, unintegrated, separate
- usage: separated into parts or pieces; "opinions are divided"
- 2. divided, dual-lane, multilane (vs. single-lane)
- usage: having a median strip or island between lanes of traffic moving in opposite directions; "a divided highway"
- 3. divided, divided up, shared, shared out, distributed (vs. concentrated)
- usage: distributed in portions (often equal) on the basis of a plan or purpose
All rights reserved.
See also: divided (Dictionary)