WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. douse, put out, snuff out, blow out, extinguish, quench
- usage: put out, as of a candle or a light; "Douse the lights"
- 2. douse, dowse, wet
- usage: wet thoroughly
- 3. dip, douse, duck, dunk, dip, souse, plunge, douse
- usage: dip into a liquid; "He dipped into the pool"
- 4. dunk, dip, souse, plunge, douse, immerse, plunge
- usage: immerse briefly into a liquid so as to wet, coat, or saturate; "dip the garment into the cleaning solution"; "dip the brush into the paint"
- 5. douse, roll up, furl
- usage: lower quickly; "douse a sail"
- 6. douse, dowse, slacken, remit
- usage: slacken; "douse a rope"
- 7. drench, douse, dowse, soak, sop, souse, wet
- usage: cover with liquid; pour liquid onto; "souse water on his hot face"
All rights reserved.
See also: douse (Dictionary)