usage: extending or moving from a higher to a lower place; "the down staircase"; "the downward course of the stream"
3. down(prenominal), falling (vs. rising)
usage: becoming progressively lower; "the down trend in the real estate market"
4. down(predicate), out(predicate) (vs. safe)
usage: being put out by a strikeout; "two down in the bottom of the ninth"
5. down, down pat(predicate), mastered, perfect (vs. imperfect)
usage: understood perfectly; "had his algebra problems down"
6. depressed, down(predicate), low (vs. high)
usage: lower than previously; "the market is depressed"; "prices are down"
7. down, lowered (vs. raised)
usage: shut; "the shades were down"
8. down, inoperative (vs. operative)
usage: not functioning (temporarily or permanently); "we can't work because the computer is down"
9. gloomy, grim, blue, depressed, dispirited, down(predicate), downcast, downhearted, down in the mouth, low, low-spirited, dejected (vs. elated)
usage: filled with melancholy and despondency ; "gloomy at the thought of what he had to face"; "gloomy predictions"; "a gloomy silence"; "took a grim view of the economy"; "the darkening mood"; "lonely and blue in a strange city"; "depressed by the loss of his job"; "a dispirited and resigned expression on her face"; "downcast after his defeat"; "feeling discouraged and downhearted"
1. down, downwards, downward, downwardly
usage: spatially or metaphorically from a higher to a lower level or position; "don't fall down"; "rode the lift up and skied down"; "prices plunged downward"
usage: away from a more central or a more northerly place; "was sent down to work at the regional office"; "worked down on the farm"; "came down for the wedding"; "flew down to Florida"
usage: paid in cash at time of purchase; "put ten dollars down on the necklace"
usage: from an earlier time; "the story was passed down from father to son"
usage: to a lower intensity; "he slowly phased down the light until the stage was completely black"
usage: in an inactive or inoperative state; "the factory went down during the strike"; "the computer went down again"