Synonyms of downing
- 1. Downing, Andrew Jackson Downing
- usage: United States landscape architect who designed the grounds of the White House and the Capitol Building (1815-1852)
- 1. toss off, pop, bolt down, belt down, pour down, down, drink down, kill, drink, imbibe
- usage: drink down entirely; "He downed three martinis before dinner"; "She killed a bottle of brandy that night"; "They popped a few beer after work"
- 2. devour, down, consume, go through, eat
- usage: eat immoderately; "Some people can down a pound of meat in the course of one meal"
- 3. down, get the better of, overcome, defeat
- usage: bring down or defeat (an opponent)
- 4. down, shoot down, land
- usage: shoot at and force to come down; "the enemy landed several of our aircraft"
- 5. down, knock down, cut down, push down, pull down, strike
- usage: cause to come or go down; "The policeman downed the heavily armed suspect"; "The mugger knocked down the old lady after she refused to hand over her wallet"
- 6. polish, refine, fine-tune, down, better, improve, amend, ameliorate, meliorate
- usage: improve or perfect by pruning or polishing; "refine one's style of writing"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of downing (Dictionary)