- 1. duel, affaire d'honneur, fight, fighting, combat, scrap
- usage: a prearranged fight with deadly weapons by two people (accompanied by seconds) in order to settle a quarrel over a point of honor
- 2. duel, struggle, battle
- usage: any struggle between two skillful opponents (individuals or groups)
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. duel, contend, fight, struggle
- usage: fight a duel, as over one's honor or a woman; "In the 19th century, men often dueled over small matters"
All rights reserved.
See also: duel (Dictionary)