Synonyms of effective
- 1. effective (vs. ineffective), effectual, efficacious, hard-hitting, trenchant, impelling, impressive, telling, rough-and-ready, efficacious, efficient, potent#3, strong#4, stiff, powerful, useful#1, utile
- usage: producing or capable of producing an intended result or having a striking effect; "an air-cooled motor was more effective than a witch's broomstick for rapid long-distance transportation"-LewisMumford; "effective teaching methods"; "effective steps toward peace"; "made an effective entrance"; "his complaint proved to be effectual in bringing action"; "an efficacious law"
- 2. effective, efficient, competent (vs. incompetent)
- usage: able to accomplish a purpose; functioning effectively; "people who will do nothing unless they get something out of it for themselves are often highly effective persons..."-G.B.Shaw; "effective personnel"; "an efficient secretary"; "the efficient cause of the revolution"
- 3. effective, efficacious (vs. inefficacious)
- usage: works well as a means or remedy; "an effective reprimand"; "a lotion that is effective in cases of prickly heat"
- 4. effective, good, in effect(predicate), in force(predicate), operative (vs. inoperative)
- usage: exerting force or influence; "the law is effective immediately"; "a warranty good for two years"; "the law is already in effect (or in force)"
- 5. effective, actual (vs. potential), existent
- usage: existing in fact; not theoretical; real; "a decline in the effective demand"; "confused increased equipment and expenditure with the quantity of effective work done"
- 6. effective, operational (vs. nonoperational)
- usage: ready for service; "the fort was held by about 100 effective soldiers"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of effective (Dictionary)