- 1. brush, clash, encounter, skirmish, fight, fighting, combat, scrap
- usage: a minor short-term fight
- 2. meeting, encounter, convergence
- usage: a casual or unexpected convergence; "he still remembers their meeting in Paris"; "there was a brief encounter in the hallway"
- 3. encounter, coming upon, joining, connection, connexion
- usage: a casual meeting with a person or thing
- 4. confrontation, encounter, showdown, face-off, disagreement
- usage: a hostile disagreement face-to-face
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. meet, run into, encounter, run across, come across, see
- usage: come together; "I'll probably see you at the meeting"; "How nice to see you again!"
- 2. find, happen, chance, bump, encounter
- usage: come upon, as if by accident; meet with; "We find this idea in Plato"; "I happened upon the most wonderful bakery not very far from here"; "She chanced upon an interesting book in the bookstore the other day"
- 3. run into, encounter, be
- usage: be beset by; "The project ran into numerous financial difficulties"
- 4. meet, encounter, receive, have, experience
- usage: experience as a reaction; "My proposal met with much opposition"
- 5. meet, encounter, play, take on
- usage: contend against an opponent in a sport, game, or battle; "Princeton plays Yale this weekend"; "Charlie likes to play Mary"
All rights reserved.
See also: encounter (Dictionary)