Synonyms of end
- 1. end, terminal, extremity
- usage: either extremity of something that has length; "the end of the pier"; "she knotted the end of the thread"; "they rode to the end of the line"; "the terminals of the anterior arches of the fornix"
- 2. end, ending, point, point in time
- usage: the point in time at which something ends; "the end of the year"; "the ending of warranty period"
- 3. end, last, final stage, ending, conclusion, finish
- usage: the concluding parts of an event or occurrence; "the end was exciting"; "I had to miss the last of the movie"
- 4. goal, end, content, cognitive content, mental object
- usage: the state of affairs that a plan is intended to achieve and that (when achieved) terminates behavior intended to achieve it; "the ends justify the means"
- 5. end, part, section, division
- usage: a final part or section; "we have given it at the end of the section since it involves the calculus"; "Start at the beginning and go on until you come to the end"
- 6. end, destruction, death, state
- usage: a final state; "he came to a bad end"; "the so-called glorious experiment came to an inglorious end"
- 7. end, surface
- usage: the surface at either extremity of a three-dimensional object; "one end of the box was marked `This side up'"
- 8. end, lineman
- usage: (football) the person who plays at one end of the line of scrimmage; "the end managed to hold onto the pass"
- 9. end, boundary, bound, bounds
- usage: a boundary marking the extremities of something; "the end of town"
- 10. end, topographic point, place, spot
- usage: one of two places from which people are communicating to each other; "the phone rang at the other end"; "both ends wrote at the same time"
- 11. end, contribution, part, share
- usage: the part you are expected to play; "he held up his end"
- 12. conclusion, end, close, closing, ending, section, subdivision
- usage: the last section of a communication; "in conclusion I want to say..."
- 13. end, remainder, remnant, oddment, piece of cloth, piece of material
- usage: a piece of cloth that is left over after the rest has been used or sold
- 14. end, lineman
- usage: (American football) a position on the line of scrimmage; "no one wanted to play end"
- 1. end, stop, finish, terminate, cease
- usage: have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical; "the bronchioles terminate in a capillary bed"; "Your rights stop where you infringe upon the rights of other"; "My property ends by the bushes"; "The symphony ends in a pianissimo"
- 2. end, terminate, change, alter, modify
- usage: bring to an end or halt; "She ended their friendship when she found out that he had once been convicted of a crime"; "The attack on Poland terminated the relatively peaceful period after WW I"
- 3. end, terminate, be
- usage: be the end of; be the last or concluding part of; "This sad scene ended the movie"
- 4. end, destroy, destruct
- usage: put an end to; "The terrible news ended our hopes that he had survived"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of end (Dictionary)