Synonyms of equivocal
- 1. equivocal (vs. unequivocal), ambiguous, double, forked, evasive, indeterminate, ambiguous
- usage: open to two or more interpretations; or of uncertain nature or significance; or (often) intended to mislead; "an equivocal statement"; "the polling had a complex and equivocal (or ambiguous) message for potential female candidates"; "the officer's equivocal behavior increased the victim's uneasiness"; "popularity is an equivocal crown"; "an equivocal response to an embarrassing question"
- 2. equivocal, questionable (vs. unquestionable)
- usage: open to question; "aliens of equivocal loyalty"; "his conscience reproached him with the equivocal character of the union into which he had forced his son"-Anna Jameson
- 3. equivocal, inconclusive (vs. conclusive)
- usage: uncertain as a sign or indication; "the evidence from bacteriologic analysis was equivocal"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of equivocal (Dictionary)