Synonyms of essential
- 1. necessity, essential, requirement, requisite, necessary, thing
- usage: anything indispensable; "food and shelter are necessities of life"; "the essentials of the good life"; "allow farmers to buy their requirements under favorable conditions"; "a place where the requisites of water fuel and fodder can be obtained"
- 1. essential, indispensable, necessary (vs. unnecessary)
- usage: absolutely necessary; vitally necessary; "essential tools and materials"; "funds essential to the completion of the project"; "an indispensable worker"
- 2. essential (vs. inessential), basal, primary, biogenic, constituent(prenominal), constitutional, constitutive(prenominal), organic, must(prenominal), no-frills(prenominal), staple, substantial, substantive, virtual(prenominal), vital, life-sustaining, crucial#1, important, important#1, of import, indispensable, intrinsic#1, intrinsical, necessary, primary, unexpendable
- usage: basic and fundamental; "the essential feature"
- 3. all-important(prenominal), all important(predicate), crucial, essential, of the essence(predicate), important (vs. unimportant), of import
- usage: of the greatest importance; "the all-important subject of disarmament"; "crucial information"; "in chess cool nerves are of the essence"
- 4. essential
- usage: being or relating to or containing the essence of a plant etc; "essential oil"
- 5. substantive (vs. adjective), essential
- usage: defining rights and duties as opposed to giving the rules by which rights and duties are established; "substantive law"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of essential (Dictionary)