Synonyms of exchange
- 1. exchange, chemical phenomenon
- usage: chemical process in which one atom or ion or group changes places with another
- 2. exchange, conversation
- usage: a mutual expression of views (especially an unpleasant one); "they had a bitter exchange"
- 3. exchange, interchange, group action
- usage: the act of changing one thing for another thing; "Adam was promised immortality in exchange for his disobedience"; "there was an interchange of prisoners"
- 4. exchange, transaction, dealing, dealings
- usage: the act of giving something in return for something received; "deductible losses on sales or exchanges of property are allowable"
- 5. central, telephone exchange, exchange, workplace, work
- usage: a workplace that serves as a telecommunications facility where lines from telephones can be connected together to permit communication
- 6. exchange, workplace, work
- usage: a workplace for buying and selling; open only to members
- 7. rally, exchange, group action
- usage: (sports) an unbroken sequence of several successive strokes; "after a short rally Connors won the point"
- 8. exchange, interchange, commerce, commercialism, mercantilism
- usage: reciprocal transfer of equivalent sums of money (especially the currencies of different countries); "he earns his living from the interchange of currency"
- 9. substitution, exchange, commutation, change
- usage: the act of putting one thing or person in the place of another: "he sent Smith in for Jones but the substitution came too late to help"
- 10. exchange, capture
- usage: (chess) gaining (or losing) a rook in return for a knight or bishop; "black lost the exchange"
- 11. exchange, capture
- usage: (chess) the capture by both players (usually on consecutive moves) of pieces of equal value; "the endgame began after the exchange of queens"
- 1. exchange, change, interchange, transfer
- usage: give to, and receive from, one another; "Would you change places with me?"; "We have been exchanging letters for a year"
- 2. change, exchange, commute, convert, replace
- usage: exchange or replace with another, usually of the same kind or category; "Could you convert my dollars into pounds?"; "He changed his name"; "convert centimeters into inches"; "convert holdings into shares"
- 3. switch over, switch, exchange, change by reversal, turn, reverse
- usage: change over, change around, as to a new order or sequence
- 4. exchange, transfer, reassign
- usage: hand over one and receive another, approximately equivalent; "exchange prisoners"; "exchange employees between branches of the company"
- 5. substitute, replace, interchange, exchange, change, alter, modify
- usage: put in the place of another; switch seemingly equivalent items; "the con artist replaced the original with a fake Rembrandt"; "substitute regular milk with fat-free milk"; "synonyms can be interchanged without a changing the context's meaning"
- 6. commute, convert, exchange, change, alter, modify
- usage: exchange a penalty for a less severe one
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of exchange (Dictionary)