WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. explain, explicate, inform
- usage: make plain and comprehensible; "He explained the laws of physics to his students"
- 2. explain, state, say, tell
- usage: define; "The committee explained their plan for fund-raising to the Dean"
- 3. excuse, explain, justify, vindicate
- usage: serve as a reason or cause or justification of; "Your need to sleep late does not excuse your late arrival at work"; "Her recent divorce may explain her reluctance to date again"
All rights reserved.
See also: explain (Dictionary)