WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. extraneous, immaterial, impertinent, orthogonal, irrelevant (vs. relevant)
- usage: not pertinent to the matter under consideration; "an issue extraneous to the debate"; "the price was immaterial"; "mentioned several impertinent facts before finally coming to the point"
- 2. extraneous, extrinsic (vs. intrinsic)
- usage: not essential; "the ballet struck me as extraneous and somewhat out of keeping with the rest of the play"
- 3. extraneous, foreign, adulterating (vs. purifying), adulterant
- usage: not belonging to that in which it is contained; introduced from an outside source; "water free of extraneous matter"; "foreign particles in milk"
- 4. external, extraneous, outside, extrinsic (vs. intrinsic)
- usage: coming from the outside; "extraneous light in the camera spoiled the photograph"; "relying upon an extraneous income"; "disdaining outside pressure groups"
All rights reserved.
See also: extraneous (Dictionary)