- 1. factor, cause
- usage: anything that contributes causally to a result; "a number of factors determined the outcome"
- 2. component, constituent, element, factor, ingredient, part, section, division
- usage: an abstract part of something; "jealousy was a component of his character"; "two constituents of a musical composition are melody and harmony"; "the grammatical elements of a sentence"; "a key factor in her success"; "humor: an effective ingredient of a speech"
- 3. divisor, factor, integer, whole number
- usage: one of two or more integers that can be exactly divided into another integer; "what are the 4 factors of 6?"
- 4. agent, factor, broker, businessperson, bourgeois
- usage: a businessman who buys or sells for another in exchange for a commission
- 5. factor, number
- usage: any of the numbers (or symbols) that form a product when multiplied together
- 6. factor, independent variable, experimental variable
- usage: an independent variable in statistics
- 7. gene, cistron, factor, sequence
- usage: (genetics) a segment of DNA that is involved in producing a polypeptide chain; it can include regions preceding and following the coding DNA as well as introns between the exons; it is considered a unit of heredity; "genes were formerly called factors"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. factor, factor in, factor out, calculate, cipher, cypher, compute, work out, reckon, figure
- usage: resolve into factors; "a quantum computer can factor the number 15"
- 2. factor, lend, impart, bestow, contribute, add, bring
- usage: be a contributing factor; "make things factor into a company's profitability"
- 3. factor, factor in, factor out, study, consider
- usage: consider as relevant when making a decision; "You must factor in the recent developments"
All rights reserved.
See also: factor (Dictionary)