WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. failure, nonaccomplishment, nonachievement
- usage: an act that fails; "his failure to pass the test"
- 2. failure, happening, occurrence, occurrent, natural event
- usage: an event that does not accomplish its intended purpose; "the surprise party was a complete failure"
- 3. failure, fortune, destiny, fate, luck, lot, circumstances, portion
- usage: lack of success; "he felt that his entire life had been a failure"; "that year there was a crop failure"
- 4. failure, loser, nonstarter, unsuccessful person, unfortunate, unfortunate person
- usage: a person with a record of failing; someone who loses consistently
- 5. failure, omission, skip
- usage: an unexpected omission; "he resented my failure to return his call"; "the mechanic's failure to check the brakes"
- 6. bankruptcy, failure, insolvency
- usage: inability to discharge all your debts as they come due; "the company had to declare bankruptcy"; "fraudulent loans led to the failure of many banks"
- 7. failure, disorder, upset
- usage: loss of ability to function normally; "kidney failure"
All rights reserved.
See also: failure (Dictionary)