Synonyms of field
- 1. field, tract, piece of land, piece of ground, parcel of land, parcel
- usage: a piece of land cleared of trees and usually enclosed; "he planted a field of wheat"
- 2. battlefield, battleground, field of battle, field of honor, field, tract, piece of land, piece of ground, parcel of land, parcel
- usage: a region where a battle is being (or has been) fought; "they made a tour of Civil War battlefields"
- 3. field, region
- usage: somewhere (away from a studio or office or library or laboratory) where practical work is done or data is collected; "anthropologists do much of their work in the field"
- 4. discipline, subject, subject area, subject field, field, field of study, study, bailiwick, knowledge domain, knowledge base, domain
- usage: a branch of knowledge; "in what discipline is his doctorate?"; "teachers should be well trained in their subject"; "anthropology is the study of human beings"
- 5. field, field of force, force field, physical phenomenon
- usage: the space around a radiating body within which its electromagnetic oscillations can exert force on another similar body not in contact with it
- 6. field, field of operation, line of business, commercial enterprise, business enterprise, business
- usage: a particular kind of commercial enterprise; "they are outstanding in their field"
- 7. sphere, domain, area, orbit, field, arena, environment
- usage: a particular environment or walk of life; "his social sphere is limited"; "it was a closed area of employment"; "he's out of my orbit"
- 8. playing field, athletic field, playing area, field, tract, piece of land, piece of ground, parcel of land, parcel
- usage: a piece of land prepared for playing a game; "the home crowd cheered when Princeton took the field"
- 9. plain, field, champaign, land, dry land, earth, ground, solid ground, terra firma
- usage: extensive tract of level open land; "they emerged from the woods onto a vast open plain"; "he longed for the fields of his youth"
- 10. field, set
- usage: (mathematics) a set of elements such that addition and multiplication are commutative and associative and multiplication is distributive over addition and there are two elements 0 and 1; "the set of all rational numbers is a field"
- 11. field, field of operations, theater, theater of operations, theatre, theatre of operations, region
- usage: a region in which active military operations are in progress; "the army was in the field awaiting action"; "he served in the Vietnam theater for three years"
- 12. field, set
- usage: all of the horses in a particular horse race
- 13. field, set
- usage: all the competitors in a particular contest or sporting event
- 14. field, geographical area, geographic area, geographical region, geographic region
- usage: a geographic region (land or sea) under which something valuable is found; "the diamond fields of South Africa"
- 15. field, set
- usage: (computer science) a set of one or more adjacent characters comprising a unit of information
- 16. field, field of view, visual percept, visual image
- usage: the area that is visible (as through an optical instrument)
- 17. airfield, landing field, flying field, field, facility, installation
- usage: a place where planes take off and land
- 1. field, handle, palm
- usage: catch or pick up (balls) in baseball or cricket
- 2. field, play
- usage: play as a fielder
- 3. field, answer, reply, respond
- usage: answer adequately or successfully; "The lawyer fielded all questions from the press"
- 4. field, choose, take, select, pick out
- usage: select (a team or individual player) for a game; "The Buckeyes fielded a young new quarterback for the Rose Bowl"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of field (Dictionary)