- 1. fight, fighting, combat, scrap, conflict, struggle, battle
- usage: the act of fighting; any contest or struggle; "a fight broke out at the hockey game"; "there was fighting in the streets"; "the unhappy couple got into a terrible scrap"
- 1. contend, fight, struggle
- usage: be engaged in a fight; carry on a fight; "the tribesmen fought each other"; "Siblings are always fighting"; "Militant groups are contending for control of the country"
- 2. fight, oppose, fight back, fight down, defend, contend, fight, struggle
- usage: fight against or resist strongly; "The senator said he would oppose the bill"; "Don't fight it!"
- 3. fight, struggle, try, seek, attempt, essay, assay
- usage: make a strenuous or labored effort; "She struggled for years to survive without welfare"; "He fought for breath"
- 4. crusade, fight, press, campaign, push, agitate, advertise, advertize, promote, push
- usage: exert oneself continuously, vigorously, or obtrusively to gain an end or engage in a crusade for a certain cause or person; be an advocate for; "The liberal party pushed for reforms"; "She is crusading for women's rights"; "The Dean is pushing for his favorite candidate"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. active, combat-ready, fighting(prenominal), operational (vs. nonoperational)
- usage: engaged in or ready for military or naval operations; "on active duty"; "the platoon is combat-ready"; "review the fighting forces"
All rights reserved.
See also: fighting (Dictionary)