Synonyms of finish
- 1. coating, finish, finishing, decorativeness
- usage: a decorative texture or appearance of a surface (or the substance that gives it that appearance); "the boat had a metallic finish"; "he applied a coat of a clear finish"; "when the finish is too thin it is difficult to apply evenly"
- 2. stopping point, finale, finis, finish, last, conclusion, close, end, ending
- usage: the temporal end; the concluding time; "the stopping point of each round was signaled by a bell"; "the market was up at the finish"; "they were playing better at the close of the season"
- 3. polish, refinement, culture, cultivation, finish, perfection, flawlessness, ne plus ultra
- usage: a highly developed state of perfection; having a flawless or impeccable quality; "they performed with great polish"; "I admired the exquisite refinement of his prose"; "almost an inspiration which gives to all work that finish which is almost art"--Joseph Conrad
- 4. finish, destination, goal, end, terminal
- usage: the place designated as the end (as of a race or journey); "a crowd assembled at the finish"; "he was nearly exhausted as their destination came into view"
- 5. finish, happening, occurrence, occurrent, natural event
- usage: designated event that concludes a contest (especially a race); "excitement grew as the finish neared"; "my horse was several lengths behind at the finish"; "the winner is the team with the most points at the finish"
- 6. finish, downfall, ruin, ruination
- usage: the downfall of someone (as of persons on one side of a conflict); "booze will be the finish of him"; "it was a fight to the finish"
- 7. ending, conclusion, finish, happening, occurrence, occurrent, natural event
- usage: event whose occurrence ends something; "his death marked the ending of an era"; "when these final episodes are broadcast it will be the finish of the show"
- 8. finish, taste, taste sensation, gustatory sensation, taste perception, gustatory perception
- usage: (wine tasting) the taste of a wine on the back of the tongue (as it is swallowed); "the wine has a nutty flavor and a pleasant finish"
- 9. finish, finishing, completion, culmination, closing, windup, mop up
- usage: the act of finishing; "his best finish in a major tournament was third"; "the speaker's finishing was greeted with applause"
- 1. complete, finish, end, terminate
- usage: come or bring to a finish or an end; "He finished the dishes"; "She completed the requirements for her Master's Degree"; "The fastest runner finished the race in just over 2 hours; others finished in over 4 hours"
- 2. finish up, land up, fetch up, end up, wind up, finish, act, move
- usage: finally be or do something; "He ended up marrying his high school sweetheart"; "he wound up being unemployed and living at home again"
- 3. end, stop, finish, terminate, cease
- usage: have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical; "the bronchioles terminate in a capillary bed"; "Your rights stop where you infringe upon the rights of other"; "My property ends by the bushes"; "The symphony ends in a pianissimo"
- 4. finish, coat, surface
- usage: provide with a finish; "The carpenter finished the table beautifully"; "this shirt is not finished properly"
- 5. eat up, finish, polish off, eat
- usage: finish eating all the food on one's plate or on the table; "She polished off the remaining potatoes"
- 6. finish, end, terminate
- usage: cause to finish a relationship with somebody; "That finished me with Mary"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of finish (Dictionary)