Synonyms of fire
- 1. fire, happening, occurrence, occurrent, natural event
- usage: the event of something burning (often destructive); "they lost everything in the fire"
- 2. fire, firing, attack, onslaught, onset, onrush
- usage: the act of firing weapons or artillery at an enemy; "hold your fire until you can see the whites of their eyes"; "they retreated in the face of withering enemy fire"
- 3. fire, flame, flaming, combustion, burning
- usage: the process of combustion of inflammable materials producing heat and light and (often) smoke; "fire was one of our ancestors' first discoveries"
- 4. fire, fireplace, hearth, open fireplace
- usage: a fireplace in which a relatively small fire is burning; "they sat by the fire and talked"
- 5. fire, element
- usage: once thought to be one of four elements composing the universe (Empedocles)
- 6. ardor, ardour, fervor, fervour, fervency, fire, fervidness, passion, passionateness
- usage: feelings of great warmth and intensity; "he spoke with great ardor"
- 7. fire, fuel
- usage: fuel that is burning and is used as a means for cooking; "put the kettle on the fire"; "barbecue over an open fire"
- 8. fire, trial, tribulation, visitation
- usage: a severe trial; "he went through fire and damnation"
- 9. fire, attack, flak, flack, blast, criticism, unfavorable judgment
- usage: intense adverse criticism; "Clinton directed his fire at the Republican Party"; "the government has come under attack"; "don't give me any flak"
- 1. open fire, fire, blast, shoot
- usage: start firing a weapon
- 2. fire, discharge
- usage: cause to go off; "fire a gun"; "fire a bullet"
- 3. fire, bake
- usage: bake in a kiln so as to harden; "fire pottery"
- 4. displace, fire, give notice, can, dismiss, give the axe, send away, sack, force out, give the sack, terminate, remove
- usage: terminate the employment of; discharge from an office or position; "The boss fired his secretary today"; "The company terminated 25% of its workers"
- 5. fire, discharge, go off
- usage: go off or discharge; "The gun fired"
- 6. fire, chase away, drive out, turn back, drive away, dispel, drive off, run off
- usage: drive out or away by or as if by fire; "The soldiers were fired"; "Surrender fires the cold skepticism"
- 7. arouse, elicit, enkindle, kindle, evoke, fire, raise, provoke, make, create
- usage: call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses); "arouse pity"; "raise a smile"; "evoke sympathy"
- 8. burn, fire, burn down, destroy, ruin
- usage: destroy by fire; "They burned the house and his diaries"
- 9. fuel, fire, supply, provide, render, furnish
- usage: provide with fuel; "Oil fires the furnace"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of fire (Dictionary)