Synonyms of fit
- 1. fit, tantrum, scene, conniption, bad temper, ill temper
- usage: a display of bad temper; "he had a fit"; "she threw a tantrum"; "he made a scene"
- 2. paroxysm, fit, convulsion, attack
- usage: a sudden uncontrollable attack; "a paroxysm of giggling"; "a fit of coughing"; "convulsions of laughter"
- 3. fit, manner, mode, style, way, fashion
- usage: the manner in which something fits; "I admired the fit of her coat"
- 4. burst, fit, activity
- usage: a sudden flurry of activity (often for no obvious reason); "a burst of applause"; "a fit of housecleaning"
- 1. suit, accommodate, fit, meet, fit, conform to
- usage: be agreeable or acceptable to; "This suits my needs"
- 2. fit, go, fit
- usage: be the right size or shape; fit correctly or as desired; "This piece won't fit into the puzzle"
- 3. meet, fit, conform to, match, fit, correspond, check, jibe, gibe, tally, agree
- usage: satisfy a condition or restriction; "Does this paper meet the requirements for the degree?"
- 4. fit, shape, form
- usage: make fit; "fit a dress"; "He fitted other pieces of paper to his cut-out"
- 5. fit, adapt, accommodate
- usage: insert or adjust several objects or people; "Can you fit the toy into the box?"; "This man can't fit himself into our work environment"
- 6. match, fit, correspond, check, jibe, gibe, tally, agree, equal, be
- usage: be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics; "The two stories don't agree in many details"; "The handwriting checks with the signature on the check"; "The suspect's fingerprints don't match those on the gun"
- 7. fit, be
- usage: conform to some shape or size; "How does this shirt fit?"
- 8. equip, fit, fit out, outfit, supply, provide, render, furnish
- usage: provide with (something) usually for a specific purpose; "The expedition was equipped with proper clothing, food, and other necessities"
- 9. match, fit, adjust, set, correct
- usage: make correspond or harmonize; "Match my sweater"
- 1. fit (vs. unfit), acceptable, suitable, suited, worthy, appropriate
- usage: meeting adequate standards for a purpose; "a fit subject for discussion"; "it is fit and proper that you be there"; "water fit to drink"; "fit for duty"; "do as you see fit to"
- 2. fit(predicate), primed(predicate), set(predicate), ready (vs. unready)
- usage: (usually followed by `to' or `for') on the point of or strongly disposed; "in no fit state to continue"; "fit to drop"; "laughing fit to burst"; "she was fit to scream"; "primed for a fight"; "we are set to go at any time"
- 3. fit (vs. unfit), able, able-bodied, conditioned, in condition(predicate), healthy, sound, well
- usage: physically and mentally sound or healthy; "felt relaxed and fit after their holiday"; "keeps fit with diet and exercise"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of fit (Dictionary)