- 1. forbid, prohibit, interdict, proscribe, veto, disallow, nix, command, require
- usage: command against; "I forbid you to call me late at night"; "Mother vetoed the trip to the chocolate store"; "Dad nixed our plans"
- 2. prevent, forestall, foreclose, preclude, forbid
- usage: keep from happening or arising; make impossible; "My sense of tact forbids an honest answer"; "Your role in the projects precludes your involvement in the competitive project"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. forbidden, out(predicate), prohibited, proscribed, taboo, tabu, verboten, impermissible (vs. permissible)
- usage: excluded from use or mention; "forbidden fruit"; "in our house dancing and playing cards were out"; "a taboo subject"
All rights reserved.
See also: forbidden (Dictionary)