Synonyms of forbidding
- 1. ban, banning, forbiddance, forbidding, prohibition
- usage: an official prohibition or edict against something
- 1. forbid, prohibit, interdict, proscribe, veto, disallow, nix, command, require
- usage: command against; "I forbid you to call me late at night"; "Mother vetoed the trip to the chocolate store"; "Dad nixed our plans"
- 2. prevent, forestall, foreclose, preclude, forbid
- usage: keep from happening or arising; make impossible; "My sense of tact forbids an honest answer"; "Your role in the projects precludes your involvement in the competitive project"
- 1. dour, forbidding, grim, unpleasant (vs. pleasant)
- usage: harshly uninviting or formidable in manner or appearance; "a dour, self-sacrificing life"; "a forbidding scowl"; "a grim man loving duty more than humanity"; "undoubtedly the grimmest part of him was his iron claw"- J.M.Barrie
- 2. baleful, forbidding, menacing, minacious, minatory, ominous, sinister, threatening, alarming (vs. unalarming)
- usage: threatening or foreshadowing evil or tragic developments; "a baleful look"; "forbidding thunderclouds"; "his tone became menacing"; "ominous rumblings of discontent"; "sinister storm clouds"; "a sinister smile"; "his threatening behavior"; "ugly black clouds"; "the situation became ugly"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of forbidding (Dictionary)