- 1. function, mathematical function, single-valued function, map, mapping, mathematical relation
- usage: (mathematics) a mathematical relation such that each element of a given set (the domain of the function) is associated with an element of another set (the range of the function)
- 2. function, purpose, role, use, utility, usefulness
- usage: what something is used for; "the function of an auger is to bore holes"; "ballet is beautiful but what use is it?"
- 3. function, office, part, role, duty
- usage: the actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group; "the function of a teacher"; "the government must do its part"; "play its role"
- 4. function, relation
- usage: a relation such that one thing is dependent on another; "height is a function of age"; "price is a function of supply and demand"
- 5. function, social gathering, social affair
- usage: a formal or official social gathering or ceremony; "it was a black-tie function"
- 6. affair, occasion, social occasion, function, social function, social event
- usage: a vaguely specified social event; "the party was quite an affair"; "an occasion arranged to honor the president"; "a seemingly endless round of social functions"
- 7. routine, subroutine, subprogram, procedure, function, software, software program, computer software, software system, software package, package
- usage: a set sequence of steps, part of larger computer program
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. function, work, operate, go, run
- usage: perform as expected when applied; "The washing machine won't go unless it's plugged in"; "Does this old car still run well?"; "This old radio doesn't work anymore"
- 2. serve, function, suffice, do, answer, serve
- usage: serve a purpose, role, or function; "The tree stump serves as a table"; "The female students served as a control group"; "This table would serve very well"; "His freedom served him well"; "The table functions as a desk"
- 3. officiate, function, serve
- usage: perform duties attached to a particular office or place or function; "His wife officiated as his private secretary"
All rights reserved.
See also: function (Dictionary)