Synonyms of gain
- 1. addition, increase, gain, indefinite quantity
- usage: a quantity that is added; "there was an addition to property taxes this year"; "they recorded the cattle's gain in weight over a period of weeks"
- 2. profit, gain, advantage, vantage
- usage: the advantageous quality of being beneficial
- 3. amplification, gain, increase, increment
- usage: the amount of increase in signal power or voltage or current expressed as the ratio of output to input
- 4. gain, sum, sum of money, amount, amount of money
- usage: the amount by which the revenue of a business exceeds its cost of operating
- 1. derive, gain, obtain
- usage: obtain; "derive pleasure from one's garden"
- 2. acquire, win, gain, get, acquire
- usage: win something through one's efforts; "I acquired a passing knowledge of Chinese"; "Gain an understanding of international finance"
- 3. profit, gain, benefit, get, acquire
- usage: derive a benefit from; "She profited from his vast experience"
- 4. reach, make, attain, hit, arrive at, gain
- usage: reach a destination, either real or abstract; "We hit Detroit by noon"; "The water reached the doorstep"; "We barely made it to the finish line"; "I have to hit the MAC machine before the weekend starts"
- 5. gain, advance, win, pull ahead, make headway, get ahead, gain ground
- usage: obtain advantages, such as points, etc.; "The home team was gaining ground"; "After defeating the Knicks, the Blazers pulled ahead of the Lakers in the battle for the number-one playoff berth in the Western Conference"
- 6. advance, gain, wax, mount, climb, rise
- usage: rise in rate or price; "The stock market gained 24 points today"
- 7. gain, gather, increase
- usage: increase or develop; "the peace movement gained momentum"; "the car gathers speed"
- 8. gain, take in, clear, make, earn, realize, realise, pull in, bring in, get, acquire
- usage: earn on some commercial or business transaction; earn as salary or wages; "How much do you make a month in your new job?"; "She earns a lot in her new job"; "this merger brought in lots of money"; "He clears $5,000 each month"
- 9. gain, put on, change state, turn
- usage: increase (one's body weight); "She gained 20 pounds when she stopped exercising"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of gain (Dictionary)