Synonyms of giving up
- 1. giving up, yielding, surrender, relinquishment, relinquishing
- usage: a verbal act of admitting defeat
- 2. forsaking, giving up, renunciation, forgoing, forswearing
- usage: the act of forsaking
- 1. forfeit, give up, throw overboard, waive, forgo, forego, abandon
- usage: lose (s.th.) or lose the right to (s.th.) by some error, offense, or crime; "you've forfeited your right to name your successor"; "forfeited property"
- 2. abandon, give up
- usage: give up with the intent of never claiming again; "Abandon your life to God"; "She gave up her children to her ex-husband when she moved to Tahiti"; "We gave the drowning victim up for dead"
- 3. drop out, give up, fall by the wayside, drop by the wayside, throw in, throw in the towel, quit, chuck up the sponge
- usage: give up in the face of defeat of lacking hope; admit defeat; "In the second round, the challenger gave up"
- 4. discontinue, stop, cease, give up, quit, lay off
- usage: put an end to a state or an activity; "Quit teasing your little brother"
- 5. spare, give up, part with, dispense with, give
- usage: give up what is not strictly needed; "he asked if they could spare one of their horses to speed his journey"
- 6. release, relinquish, resign, free, give up, pass, hand, reach, pass on, turn over, give
- usage: part with a possession or right; "I am relinquishing my bedroom to the long-term house guest"; "resign a claim to the throne"
- 7. vacate, resign, renounce, give up, leave office, quit, step down, resign
- usage: leave (a job, post, or position) voluntarily; "She vacated the position when she got pregnant"; "The chairman resigned when he was found to have misappropriated funds"
- 8. surrender, cede, deliver, give up, give, gift, present
- usage: relinquish possession or control over; "The squatters had to surrender the building after the police moved in"
- 9. surrender, give up, yield
- usage: give up or agree to forgo to the power or possession of another; "The last Taleban fighters finally surrendered"
- 10. abandon, give up
- usage: stop maintaining or insisting on; of ideas or claims; "He abandoned the thought of asking for her hand in marriage"; "Both sides have to give up some claims in these negotiations"
- 11. give up, allow
- usage: allow the other (baseball) team to score; "give up a run"
- 12. kick, give up, waive, relinquish, forgo, forego, foreswear, dispense with
- usage: stop consuming; "kick a habit"; "give up alcohol"
All rights reserved.