WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. growth, growing, maturation, development, ontogeny, ontogenesis, organic process, biological process
- usage: (biology) the process of an individual organism growing organically; a purely biological unfolding of events involved in an organism changing gradually from a simple to a more complex level; "he proposed an indicator of osseous development in children"
- 2. growth, development, evolution
- usage: a progression from simpler to more complex forms; "the growth of culture"
- 3. increase, increment, growth, process, physical process
- usage: a process of becoming larger or longer or more numerous or more important; "the increase in unemployment"; "the growth of population"
- 4. growth, vegetation, flora, botany
- usage: vegetation that has grown; "a growth of trees"; "the only growth was some salt grass"
- 5. emergence, outgrowth, growth, beginning
- usage: the gradual beginning or coming forth; "figurines presage the emergence of sculpture in Greece"
- 6. growth, illness, unwellness, malady, sickness
- usage: (pathology) an abnormal proliferation of tissue (as in a tumor)
- 7. growth, object, physical object
- usage: something grown or growing; "a growth of hair"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of growth (Dictionary)