Synonyms of guard
- 1. guard, defender, guardian, protector, shielder
- usage: a person who keeps watch over something or someone
- 2. guard, lineman
- usage: the person who plays that position on a football team; "the left guard was injured on the play"
- 3. guard, safety, safety device, device
- usage: a device designed to prevent injury or accidents
- 4. guard, position, posture, attitude
- usage: a posture of defence in boxing or fencing; "keep your guard up"
- 5. guard, basketball player, basketeer, cager
- usage: the person who plays the position of guard on a basketball team
- 6. guard, military unit, military force, military group, force
- usage: a military unit serving to protect some place or person
- 7. precaution, safeguard, guard, measure, step
- usage: a precautionary measure warding off impending danger or damage or injury etc.; "he put an ice pack on the injury as a precaution"; "an insurance policy is a good safeguard"; "we let our guard down"
- 8. guard duty, guard, sentry duty, sentry go, assignment, duty assignment
- usage: the duty of serving as a sentry; "he was on guard that night"
- 9. guard, lineman
- usage: (American football) a position on the line of scrimmage; "guards must be good blockers"
- 10. guard, position
- usage: a position on a basketball team
- 1. guard, watch, observe, follow, watch over, keep an eye on
- usage: to keep watch over; "there would be men guarding the horses"
- 2. guard, ward, protect
- usage: watch over or shield from danger or harm; protect; "guard my possessions while I'm away"
- 3. defend, guard, hold, protect
- usage: protect against a challenge or attack; "Hold that position behind the trees!"; "Hold the bridge against the enemy's attacks"
- 4. guard, act, move
- usage: take precautions in order to avoid some unwanted consequence; "guard against becoming too friendly with the staff"; "guard against infection"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of guard (Dictionary)