- 1. Alcyone, Halcyon
- usage: (Greek mythology) a woman who was turned into a kingfisher
- 2. Halcyon, genus Halcyon, bird genus
- usage: a large kingfisher widely distributed in warmer parts of the Old World
- 3. halcyon, mythical being
- usage: a mythical bird said to breed at the time of the winter solstice in a nest floating on the sea and to have the power of calming the winds and waves
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. halcyon, peaceful (vs. unpeaceful), peaceable
- usage: idyllically calm and peaceful; suggesting happy tranquillity; "a halcyon atmosphere"
- 2. golden, halcyon, prosperous, happy (vs. unhappy)
- usage: marked by peace and prosperity; "a golden era"; "the halcyon days of the clipper trade"
All rights reserved.
See also: halcyon (Dictionary)