Synonyms of hammer
- 1. hammer, cock, striker
- usage: the part of a gunlock that strikes the percussion cap when the trigger is pulled
- 2. hammer, hand tool
- usage: a hand tool with a heavy rigid head and a handle; used to deliver an impulsive force by striking
- 3. malleus, hammer, auditory ossicle
- usage: the ossicle attached to the eardrum
- 4. mallet, hammer, drumstick
- usage: a light drumstick with a rounded head that is used to strike such percussion instruments as chimes, kettledrums, marimbas, glockenspiels, etc.
- 5. hammer, sports equipment
- usage: a heavy metal sphere attached to a flexible wire; used in the hammer throw
- 6. hammer, striker
- usage: a striker that is covered in felt and that causes the piano strings to vibrate
- 7. hammer, power hammer, power tool
- usage: a power tool for drilling rocks
- 8. hammer, pound, hammering, pounding, blow
- usage: the act of pounding (delivering repeated heavy blows); "the sudden hammer of fists caught him off guard"; "the pounding of feet on the hallway"
- 1. hammer, beat
- usage: beat with or as if with a hammer; "hammer the metal flat"
- 2. forge, hammer, beat
- usage: create by hammering; "hammer the silver into a bowl"; "forge a pair of tongues"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of hammer (Dictionary)