Synonyms of hell
- 1. hell, hell on earth, hellhole, snake pit, the pits, inferno, region, part
- usage: any place of pain and turmoil; "the hell of battle"; "the inferno of the engine room"; "when you're alone Christmas is the pits";
- 2. hell, blaze, trouble
- usage: a cause of difficulty and suffering; "war is hell"; "go to blazes"
- 3. Hell, perdition, Inferno, infernal region, nether region, pit, imaginary place, mythical place, fictitious place
- usage: (Christianity) the abode of Satan and the forces of evil; where sinners suffer eternal punishment; "Hurl'd headlong...To bottomless perdition, there to dwell"- John Milton; "a demon from the depths of the pit"; "Hell is paved with good intentions"-Dr. Johnson
- 4. Hell, Hades, infernal region, netherworld, Scheol, underworld, imaginary place, mythical place, fictitious place
- usage: (religion) the world of the dead; "No one goes to Hades with all his immense wealth"-Theognis
- 5. sin, hell, activity
- usage: violent and excited activity; "they began to fight like sin"
- 6. hell, blaze, mischief, mischief-making, mischievousness, deviltry, devilry, devilment, rascality, roguery, roguishness, shenanigan
- usage: noisy and unrestrained mischief; "raising blazes"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of hell (Dictionary)