- 1. helping, portion, serving, small indefinite quantity, small indefinite amount
- usage: an individual quantity of food or drink taken as part of a meal; "the helpings were all small"; "his portion was larger than hers"; "there's enough for two servings each"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. help, assist, aid, support, back up
- usage: give help or assistance; be of service; "Everyone helped out during the earthquake"; "Can you help me carry this table?"; "She never helps around the house"
- 2. help, aid, better, improve, amend, ameliorate, meliorate
- usage: improve the condition of; "These pills will help the patient"
- 3. help, facilitate, serve
- usage: be of use; "This will help to prevent accidents"
- 4. help oneself, help, refrain, forbear
- usage: abstain from doing; always used with a negative; "I can't help myself--I have to smoke"; "She could not help watching the sad spectacle"
- 5. serve, help, provide, supply, ply, cater
- usage: help to some food; help with food or drink; "I served him three times, and after that he helped himself"
- 6. help, promote, advance, boost, further, encourage
- usage: contribute to the furtherance of; "This money will help the development of literacy in developing countries"
- 7. avail, help, exploit, work
- usage: take or use; "She helped herself to some of the office supplies"
- 8. help, better, improve, amend, ameliorate, meliorate
- usage: improve; change for the better; "New slipcovers will help the old living room furniture"
All rights reserved.
See also: helping (Dictionary)