Synonyms of hold back
- 1. check, turn back, arrest, stop, contain, hold back, defend
- usage: hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of; "Arrest the downward trend"; "Check the growth of communism in South East Asia"; "Contain the rebel movement"; "Turn back the tide of communism"
- 2. restrain, keep, keep back, hold back, inhibit, bottle up, suppress
- usage: keep under control; keep in check; "suppress a smile"; "Keep your temper"; "keep your cool"
- 3. forbear, hold back, refrain, forbear
- usage: refrain from doing; "she forbore a snicker"
- 4. wait, hold off, hold back, act, move
- usage: wait before acting; "the scientists held off announcing their results until they repeated the experiment"
- 5. retain, hold, keep back, hold back, keep, hold on
- usage: secure and keep for possible future use or application; "The landlord retained the security deposit"; "I reserve the right to disagree"
- 6. conceal, hold back, hold in
- usage: hold back; keep from being perceived by others; "She conceals her anger well"
All rights reserved.