Synonyms of hold up
- 1. armed robbery, heist, holdup, stickup, robbery
- usage: robbery at gunpoint
- 2. delay, holdup, inactivity
- usage: the act of delaying; inactivity resulting in something being put off until a later time
- 1. hold, support, sustain, hold up
- usage: be the physical support of; carry the weight of; "The beam holds up the roof"; "He supported me with one hand while I balanced on the beam"; "What's holding that mirror?"
- 2. hold up, expose, exhibit, display
- usage: hold up something as an example; hold up one's achievements for admiration
- 3. delay, detain, hold up, decelerate, slow, slow down, slow up, retard
- usage: cause to be slowed down or delayed; "Traffic was delayed by the bad weather"; "she delayed the work that she didn't want to perform"
- 4. hold up, stick up, rob
- usage: rob at gunpoint or by means of some other threat
- 5. survive, last, live, live on, go, endure, hold up, hold out
- usage: continue to live through hardship or adversity; "We went without water and food for 3 days"; "These superstitions survive in the backwaters of America"; "The race car driver lived through several very serious accidents"; "how long can a person last without food and water?"
- 6. defy, withstand, hold, hold up, resist, hold out, withstand, stand firm
- usage: resist or confront with resistance; "The politician defied public opinion"; "The new material withstands even the greatest wear and tear"; "The bridge held"
- 7. stand up, hold up, hold water, survive, last, live, live on, go, endure, hold up, hold out
- usage: resist or withstand wear, criticism, etc.; "Her shoes won't hold up"; "This theory won't hold water"
All rights reserved.