Synonyms of irritating
- 1. annoy, rag, get to, bother, get at, irritate, rile, nark, nettle, gravel, vex, chafe, devil, displease
- usage: cause annoyance in; disturb, especially by minor irritations; "Mosquitoes buzzing in my ear really bothers me"; "It irritates me that she never closes the door after she leaves"
- 2. irritate, worsen, aggravate, exacerbate, exasperate
- usage: excite to an abnormal condition, or chafe or inflame; "Aspirin irritates my stomach"
- 3. irritate, stimulate, excite
- usage: excite to some characteristic action or condition, such as motion, contraction, or nervous impulse, by the application of a stimulus; "irritate the glands of a leaf"
- 1. annoying, bothersome, galling, irritating, nettlesome, pesky, pestering, pestiferous, plaguy, plaguey, teasing, vexatious, vexing, disagreeable (vs. agreeable)
- usage: causing irritation or annoyance; "tapping an annoying rhythm on his glass with his fork"; "aircraft noise is particularly bothersome near the airport"; "found it galling to have to ask permission"; "an irritating delay"; "nettlesome paperwork"; "a pesky mosquito"; "swarms of pestering gnats"; "a plaguey newfangled safety catch"; "a teasing and persistent thought annoyed him"; "a vexatious child"; "it is vexing to have to admit you are wrong"
- 2. irritating, irritative, stimulative (vs. depressant)
- usage: (used of physical stimuli) serving to stimulate or excite; "an irritative agent"
- 3. irritating, painful, uncomfortable (vs. comfortable)
- usage: causing physical discomfort; "bites of black flies are more than irritating; they can be very painful"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of irritating (Dictionary)