Synonyms of jar
- 1. jar, vessel
- usage: a vessel (usually cylindrical) with a wide mouth and without handles
- 2. jar, jarful, containerful
- usage: the quantity contained in a jar; "he drank a jar of beer"
- 3. jolt, jar, jounce, shock, blow, bump
- usage: a sudden jarring impact; "the door closed with a jolt"; "all the jars and jolts were smoothed out by the shock absorbers"
- 1. clash, jar, collide, conflict
- usage: be incompatible; be or come into conflict; "These colors clash"
- 2. jolt, jar, move
- usage: move or cause to move with a sudden jerky motion
- 3. jar, shake up, bump around, move, displace
- usage: shock physically; "Georgia was shaken up in the Tech game"
- 4. jar, affect, impress, move, strike
- usage: affect in a disagreeable way; "This play jarred the audience"
- 5. jar, put, set, place, pose, position, lay
- usage: place in a cylindrical vessel; "jar the jam"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of jar (Dictionary)